The Best Macro Lens For Canon Cameras
When it comes to making fantastic toy photography, a macro lens is a must. Therefore, this is our hunt for the best macro lens for canon cameras (we’ve gone for Canon because that’s what we own). But first…
What Is A Macro Lens?
Think of a macro lens as a tool to carry out extreme close-up photography. With a macro lens, the image on the camera’s sensor can be equal to the size of the item being photographed in real life. This allows the photographer to get super close to the item being photographed while retaining detail and scale.
CHECK OUT: Best Hulk Action Figures For $100 Or Less
What Is The Key Attribute To Look For In A Macro Lens?
Sadly, lots of lenses have Macro in their title, but unless it has a 1:1 ratio or 1x Maximum Magnification Ratio, you’re better off leaving it on the shelf. These attributes are the most important on a macro lens, with it, the subject will be rendered life-size on the camera’s sensor.
3. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, $420
First up on this list is the EF 100mm f/2.8 USM, the cheapest Canon macro lens on this list. Features include:
- This is a true 1:1 macro lens, delivering small items as if life-size on the sensor.
- It has 1x magnification, achieved at MFD (Minimum Focus Distance).
- The lens offers excellent optical performance, with a decent focal length.
Coming in at $420 on Amazon, we wouldn’t consider this lens a budget option, but the best low-cost option we could find (it’s good, but for $300 more and you can get a great lens – see #1).
2. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens, $1299+
The Canon’s EF 100 L Macro Lens is the most popular, and possibly the best on market. Features include:
- It is made with aluminum and engineered plastic for resilience.
- Perfect for nature macro shots, but be warned, the lens is slow to focus.
- It’s 100mm macro lens offers superb image quality and a wide variety of uses beyond super close-up photography.
- The depth of field when used at 1:1 is perfect for toy photography.
If you’ve got $1,300 to spend on a lens, this is the perfect option. Not only is it made with materials that feel high-quality, but it also looks incredibly professional and operates like a dream. Fantastic toy photographs are possible with this lens, however for us, budget is a key factor in this list.
1. Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens, $739
The EF 180mm f/3.5L lens has a huge price of $718, but for those who want the best quality at a price that won’t break the bank, it’s the best Canon Macro lens we’ve owned. Features include:
- 180mm focal length provides much more working distance, making it perfect for toy photography when using real-world environments.
- The focus is slow so the extra focal length is needed. However, with this lens stunning blurred backgrounds are achievable.
- With compatible extenders, magnifications can hit 1.4x and 2.x. Making it perfect for incredible close-ups of toys.
Be warned, this lens lacks image stabilization. Making it more reliant on having a tripod. This won’t impact flora or toy photographers out there. And considering the breathtaking pictures possible with this lens, that trade-off is well worth it.