When it comes to making fantastic toy photography, a macro lens is a must.
Therefore, this is our hunt for the best macro lens for canon cameras:
(We’ve gone for Canon because that’s what we own).
The first big question is…
What Is A Macro Lens?
Think of a macro lens as a tool to carry out extreme close-up photography. With a macro lens, the image on the camera’s sensor can be equal to the size of the item being photographed in real life. This allows the photographer to get super close to the item being photographed while retaining detail and scale.
CHECK OUT: Best Hulk Action Figures For $100 Or Less
What Is The Key Attribute To Look For In A Macro Lens?
Sadly, lots of lenses have Macro in their title, but unless it has a 1:1 ratio or 1x Maximum Magnification Ratio, you’re better off leaving it on the shelf. These attributes are the most important on a macro lens, with it, the subject will be rendered life-size on the camera’s sensor.
Keep reading to find out the best macro lens for Canon cameras:
3. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, $398
First up on this list is the EF 100mm f/2.8 USM, and the only budget option on this list. Features include:
- This is a true 1:1 macro lens, delivering small items as if life size on the sensor.
- It has 1x magnification, achieved at MFD (Minimum Focus Distance).
- The lens offers excellent optical performance, with decent focal length.
At $398 this is the lens we’ll be picking up from Amazon.com for $398. However, if you have deep pockets, the next two lenses are better options.
2. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens, $1300
The Canon’s EF 100 L Macro Lens is the most popular, and possibly the best on market. Features include:
- It is made with aluminium and engineered plastic for resilience.
- Perfect for nature macro shots, but be warned, the lens is slow to focus.
- It’s 100mm macro lens offers superb image quality and a wide variety of uses beyond super close-up photography.
- The depth of field when used at 1:1 is perfect for toy photography.
The only downside is the cost. Available at Amazon.com for $1,299.99.
1. Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens, $999
The EF 180mm f/3.5L lens is out of our price bracket at a dollar shy of $1,000 – but for those who can splash the cash, it delivers unbeatable pictures. Features include:
- 180mm focal length provides much more working distance, making it perfect for nature photography.
- The focus is slow, so that extra focal length is needed – but, with this lens stunning blurred backgrounds are achieveable.
- With compatible extenders, magnifications can hit 1.4x and 2.x. Making it perfect for incredible close-ups.
Be warned, this lens lacks image stabilization. Making it more reliant on having a tripod. This won’t impact flora or toy photographers out there. Especially when this macro lens delivers breathtaking pictures.
If you want the best, this is the macro lens for you. Available at Amazon.com for $999.