Rare quarters are worth money, real money! We’re talking six-figures and life-altering amounts:
Yet, before you empty pockets and raid piggy banks for these valuable quarters, here are some quarter-collecting facts:
- The first quarters were made in 1796 and included Lady Liberty on the front and an eagle on the back.
- The first time a quarter had 25c marked anywhere on the coin was in 1804. Where it was inscribed on the reverse.
- In circulation, there are 504-million quarters. In comparison, there are 2.2-billion pennies, 737-million dimes, 379-million nickels, 3.4-million 50-cents, and 2.9-million dollars.
- Between 1999 and 2008 the U.S. Mint released State quarters. Each quarter included a uniquely designed reverse (making them very collectible).
This collectability has made numismatists (coin collectors) a very popular pass-time. With an estimated 10-million numismatists in the U.S. alone.
CHECK OUT: 5 Antique Beer Bottles Worth Money.
So, what Is The Most Valuable Quarter?
5. 1871 CC Seated Liberty Quarter – $71,473
A circulated version of this coin is worth around $1,500 to $3,000:
(Amazingly, this coin has a higher melt value of $4,000).
4. 1823 Capped Bust Quarter – $96,775
This quarter is all about the striking error:
FACT: All coins had 1823 struck over the 1822 date – creating a clear and visible error on the quarter.
A circulated version of this coin is worth around $18,000 to $33,000:
(If this list was about circulated value, this coin would rank #1).
3. 1870 CC Seated Liberty Quarter – $103,142
A circulated version of this coin is worth around $8,000 to $10,000:
(This coin’s circulated value is double that of the most expensive coin on this list).
2. 1827 Capped Bust Quarter – $109,140
Second on this most expensive quarters top-five is this 1827 ultra-rare coin.
A circulated version of this coin, in average condition, is worth between $4,000 and $65,000:
(A curly base on the date’s number 2 is worth more than a square, angular number 2).
1. 1804 Draped Bust Quarter – $157,702
This is the most expensive quarter in U.S. history (in theory):
A circulated version of this coin is worth between $4,000 and $5,000:
(That’s quite a difference).
In comparison, the most expensive U.S. coin is the ‘1794 Flowing Hair Dollar’. Worth a staggering $10-million.
Finding Quarters Worth Money?
On your quest to find quarters worth money, you could put your focus on finding the most valuable State quarters, valuable quarters after 1965, or the ultra-rare U.S. quarters:
(From 1965, U.S. coins were made from 75-percent copper and 25-percent nickel – with the exception of the Kennedy Half Dollars).
However, when it comes to valuable quarters, the first step in most collectors journeys is finding a Washington quarter.
The Most Valuable Washington Quarters?
Some of the most valuable coins after 1965 include the Washington quarters.
This is what you need to know:
- In 1967 1.5-billion Washington quarters were put into production.
- They did not include a mint-mark and were made from nickel and copper.
- They have a diameter of 24.3 mm and a weight of 5.67 grams.
- A Washington quarter that has signs of circulation (scratches) is worth 25-cents.
- A mint-highly graded Washington quarter could be worth $4,000 to $8,000 at auction.
Here’s what a 1993, in circulation Washington quarter looks like:
TIP: When it comes to what year quarters are worth more? The answer is, the earlier the better:
So a 1967 Washington quarter is worth more than a 1993 quarter, and that logic is often true for rare and valuable U.S. quarters.
CHECK OUT: 5 Most Valuable Star Wars Action Figures.