Panasonic Lumix ZS100 Review: The Perfect Travel Companion
The Panasonic Lumix ZS100 is everything a traveler could ever want in a camera:
This hybrid camera (photographs and movies) brings a 10x zoom and 20-megapixel sensor to the travel segment. Making it easier than ever to capture stunning images without having to carry around huge camera equipment.
However, is this camera worth almost $500? Let’s find out!
- 20MP – 1″ MOS Sensor
- 25-250 mm F2.8-5.9 Zoom Lens
- 5-axis OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- A manual lens-mounted control ring
- 4K at 30fps and FHD at 60fps Video Recording
- 9.9fps continuous shooting
- The 1-inch sensor is what sets the ZS100 a cut above the rest for travel cameras. It’s the same size as Pansonic’s top-of-the-range bridge camera, the very successful Lumix FZ1000. This compact sensor means you get sharper images, more detail, and better low-light performance.
- Also, it’s combined with a new Venus Engine processor and a Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 25mm f/2.8 to 5.9 zoom lens, or two lens options – 24mm 2.8 and 18mm 2.0. With this, you’ll be able to capture everything from wide-angle landscapes to portrait shots in dimly lit environments, where many other cameras will struggle to achieve the same high-quality results.
- The camera benefits from Panasonic’s Power OIS stabilization system for stills photography and has 5-axis hybrid OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) built-in. It ensures filming without getting any unwanted jittery movements while viewing your footage on your computer later on.
- The camera supports an excellent mode called ‘Live Edit’ that allows you to pan around and zoom into a 1080p video inside a 4k frame as you film it.
- The camera also supports the RAW file format. Even if you don’t do anything to the file other than open it and saving it as a JPEG. The RAW format ensures you take full advantage of what the sensor has to offer.
- The screen provides a good, overall view of your subject without suffering from excessive glare or reflections. However, it is fixed, which does limit the angles at which you can take photographs.
CHECK OUT: 10 Amazon Walmart Tech Deals This Week
- The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100’s body, despite having a much larger sensor and optical zoom compared to the competition, is impressively small.
- The 10x optical zoom is also longer than other cameras on the market in its price range, making it ideal for taking crisp and balanced high-quality photos from afar.
- The camera comes in three colors, all-black, black with a red stripe, or black with gray and red stripes.
- The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100 includes a slight indentation in the front of the camera. This makes it easier to hold.
The Panasonic Lumix ZS100 can deliver high-quality photos and videos with ease. It offers a range of features not found on simple point-and-shoot cameras, without the bulk of a typical DSLR.
- 10x optical zoom lens
- Fantastic image and video quality
- RAW and JPG capture options
- Touch screen controls
- Good macro capability
- Fixed LCD
- Enthusiast price point
Best of all, this camera has a 1/1.7-inch 20MP sensor. This size is almost identical to that of the Lumix LX100 II, a camera costing twice as much as the ZS100.
To us, it seems the Lumix ZS100 is made for someone who wants fantastic photos without the learning curve or bulk of a DSLR camera. This is great, but at $500, this camera is in the realm of enthusiasts, not hobbyists or casual snappers. So, depending on your interests and needs, the Lumix ZS100 could be the perfect solution or overpriced.
See what others think about the Panasonic LUMIX ZS100 on Amazon.